Are you on the hunt for an affordable family home in a newer suburb of Canberra? Look no further than Wright in the picturesque Molonglo Valley. This sought-after neighborhood has captured the hearts of first-home buyers and young families since its inception in the early 2010s. Let's take a closer look at what makes Wright such a desirable place to live.
A Brief History of Wright Wright is the first of 13 suburbs being developed in Canberra's Molonglo Valley, which aims to connect Weston Creek to Belconnen. While construction is mostly complete, a few apartment developments are still awaiting approval, along with some blocks in North Wright. The suburb is named after Judith Wright, an esteemed poet, environmentalist, and advocate for Aboriginal land rights. Continuing the theme, the streets of Wright are named after environmentalists and poets, adding an artistic touch to the community.
Exploring the Outdoors in the Molonglo Valley Nature enthusiasts and outdoor lovers will feel right at home in Wright and its surrounding areas. Here are some of the must-visit destinations for outdoor activities:
- Molonglo River Reserve: Immerse yourself in the beauty of the Molonglo River Reserve, which runs alongside Coombs to the north of Wright. This stunning reserve is home to native plants and animals, including endangered species like the pink-tailed worm-lizard and superb parrot. Take a leisurely walk through the reserve and be amazed by the natural wonders right on your doorstep.
- Stromlo Forest Park: If you enjoy cycling, running, or simply being surrounded by nature, make sure to visit Stromlo Forest Park. This world-class sporting facility offers mountain bike trails, running tracks, and equestrian trails. Don't worry if you're not an athlete - the park and its surroundings are equally popular among bushwalkers and nature enthusiasts.
- Cotter Reserve: Within a short 15-minute drive from Wright, you'll find Cotter Reserve, a beloved destination for picnics, barbecues, and river swims. Take your family for a relaxing day out by the river and enjoy the tranquility of this natural retreat.
Parks and Playgrounds in Wright Designed with active living in mind, Wright boasts a range of parks and playgrounds perfect for families to enjoy. Here are a few highlights:
- Link Park: Situated between Steve Irwin Avenue and Max Jacobs Avenue, Link Park offers barbecue facilities, fitness equipment, a boardwalk, and ample green space. While it may not have traditional play equipment, it remains a popular spot for families to gather and enjoy outdoor activities.
- Argus Park: Located on Peter Cullen Way, Argus Park is a modern playground featuring a spider web and outdoor fitness equipment. Let your children's imaginations run wild as they explore and play in this well-equipped park.
- Wright Children's Playground: Positioned at the corner of Steve Irwin Avenue and Gornall Street, Wright Children's Playground is tailored for children aged five and older. With climbing cubes, a spider web, and a see-saw, it offers endless fun and entertainment. Plus, the partially shaded area ensures a comfortable play experience.
Getting Around Wright Living in Wright offers convenient transportation options, particularly if you have a car. Commuting to work is a breeze, with easy access to Belconnen via Coppins Crossing Road and quick routes to Civic, Tuggeranong, Barton, Deakin, and Kingston via the nearby Cotter Road. Cycling enthusiasts will appreciate the connection to Canberra's bike path network, allowing for car-free rides to Cooleman Court. While off-road cycling connections to Civic and Belconnen may be limited, bus routes R10 and 66 provide additional public transportation options for residents.
Educational Opportunities Wright is fortunate to have several educational institutions in its vicinity, catering to children of all ages:
- Charles Weston School (Coombs): This public school, established in 2016, offers education from preschool to Year 6. It is a candidate school for the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program, providing a well-rounded curriculum.
- Orana Steiner School (Weston): For an independent education experience, consider Orana Steiner School. Catering to students from preschool to Year 12, this school emphasizes a holistic approach to learning and personal development.
- St Jude's Primary School and Early Learning Centre (Holder): As a Catholic school, St Jude's accommodates preschool to Year 6 students, providing a nurturing environment and quality education.
- Mount Stromlo High School (Waramanga): For secondary education, Mount Stromlo High School is located in nearby Waramanga, serving students from Year 7 to Year 10.
In conclusion, Wright offers a welcoming community and a family-friendly environment within the stunning Molonglo Valley. With its rich history, abundant outdoor activities, well-designed parks, convenient transportation options, and educational opportunities, Wright stands out as an ideal suburb for families seeking a balanced and fulfilling lifestyle.
Come and discover the charm of Wright for yourself - it might just be the perfect place to call home.